Frequently Asked Questions about Course Articulation

What is articulation?

Articulation is the process of evaluating courses to determine whether a particular course offered at West Valley College is comparable to, or acceptable in lieu of, a corresponding course at a particular accredited college or university.

What does articulation agreement mean?

Each university system has its own program requirements. These requirements vary with the student’s intended major. An articulation agreement is an agreement with a four-year institution that specifies which West Valley College courses may be transferred to meet general education, elective, or major requirements.

What is the process for transferability of a course?

The process begins with the approval of a course first by the Curriculum Committee. If it is approved prior to the catalog printing deadline (usually in mid spring), the course will be listed in the next academic year’s catalog. Courses approved by our Curriculum Committee and gain Board approval may be submitted for approval for inclusion on the UC Transfer Course Agreements (TCA) list and the CSU Baccalaureate list. Our courses must be approved for the Transferable Course Agreement (TCA) and CSU-B lists before any secondary agreements (such as Course to Course, IGETC, CSU- GE, or Pre-Major courses) may be initiated.

Who do I see to get my course articulated?

Requests for articulation should be made to the Articulation Officer for each course in which articulation is requested.

What are the types of articulation agreements?

  • Course-to-Course Agreement: to determine if a specific course taken at one college will satisfy a requirement at another college
  • General Education
    • CSU General Education-Breadth (CSU GE-B): courses that students may take to satisfy the lower division GE requirements for the CSU campuses.
    • Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC): students may use to satisfy lower division general education requirements at the CSU or UC system. IGETC is not recommended for high unit majors (see counselor)
    • Campus Specific General Education: pattern specific to a university campus.

How long does the process for obtaining transferability take?

It takes several months to a year, or sometimes longer, to get a new course or a revised course approved for all the appropriate transfer articulation lists.

Where can I see articulation agreements online?

The ASSIST repository contains the statewide student transfer information for California public colleges. It displays reports of how course credits earned at one California public college or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California's public colleges and universities (CC, CSU, UC) and therefore provides the most accurate and up-to-date information available regarding student transfer within public institutions in California."

last published: 6/13/18