What is Articulation?

The process that facilitates the successful transfer of students from community colleges to undergraduate baccalaureate programs. It is the process of developing formal written agreements that explain how courses transfer from one institution to another, either “as comparable to” or acceptable in lieu of” specific course requirements at four year institutions.

Types of Articulation Agreements

  • General Education Articulation Agreements identify a pattern of courses that fulfill lower division general education requirements. Patterns include:
    • Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
    • CSU General Education (CSU-GE) Breadth Requirements
    • Independent College specific pattern.

Which pattern a student should follow is dependent on the transfer university and specific major being considered.  Consult with a West Valley College Counselor for assistance with understanding the most appropriate choice.

  • Lower Division Major Preparation Articulation Agreements describe lower division major preparation (or courses) to be completed in order to be a eligible for transfer.
  • Elective Course Articulation Agreements describe specific courses taken at a community college that will transfer; however, do not fulfill any specific requirements (GE or Major Preparation)  other than as transferable units.

    The final responsibility for successfully achieving an educational goal rests with the student. Information found on these web pages is designed to be helpful; however, information is subject to frequent changes so students are strongly recommended to consult with a counselor.
last published: 3/21/18