International Students: Transcript Evaluation Guidelines

1. West Valley College can accept foreign transcripts evaluated from any of the approved services listed on the NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) membership list. WVC reviews transcript reports on a case by case basis. Credit can be granted providing that reports are detailed enough so evaluators can determine the placement of courses for West Valley's academic programs.

2. It is recommended that students who HAVE NOT completed an evaluation prior to attending West Valley College use either IERF (International Education Research Foundation) or ECE (Education Credential Evaluators - if planning to transfer to San Jose State University). When ordering an evaluation, students MUST request a detailed report (contact evaluation service for cost).

3. Students should note that acceptance of any foreign course work applies to West Valley College's academic programs ONLY. All four-year colleges conduct their own evaluation of foreign course work, and acceptance of this work is subject to the descretion of these institutions. Typically, four-year colleges require certified translations of transcripts for all university and college level course work completed outside of the United States. Students are encouraged to contact other colleges to find out more information.

Please be aware that West Valley College does not use foreign course work to satisfy CSU GE or IGETC requirements (with the exception of language other than English for IGETC).

4. Below are several online resources for obtaining additional information:

5. It is recommended that students contact a counselor should they have questions.

last published: 3/21/18